Friday, February 12, 2010

Snipers!!!

(photo by Derek Owen Doss)

It's been a week. I've been staying up way past my bed time every night and have been taking in all kinds of new life (which has been totally worth its consequences). Sleepy as I was, I joined a few friends for a bit at the Casbar in Rosa to support my friends in the dynamic instrumental band Snipers.
The current lineup consists of Andy Pohl (guitar), Terrance Fleming (drums), Derek King (guitar), and Ben Shackelford (bass). I've known these guys for years, and can readily recall many fantastic memories (and way too many fart jokes!).
I had the pleasure of previously collaborating with Terrance in Bad Kissers, and with both Andy and Terrance in Good City Lie Still and an early rendition of Snipers.

The men of Snipers are sweet natured and full of hilarity. My favorite part about them: their music is epic and dramatic - yet in character they are quite the opposite. They are all very dedicated to playing music... and demonstrate (on and off-stage) genuine egalitarian and team-minded attitudes. They smile when they play. It feels great to see that. And these guys are so generous with their support of other musicians, they have been staples of camaraderie in a struggling Sonoma County scene.

So enough about the winning personalities - how's the sound? This project has been in existence in various forms for about four years. It has been a fluctuated in member size and artistic direction in that time. The consistencies - sonically epic, with plenty of anthemic elements. Droney, effected guitars. Andy and Derek trade off on soaring leads, and spend just as much time interacting on differing parts as they do inflecting on the same idea. The rhythms are driving with occasional bursts of unconventional time signatures and breakdowns. Terrance is enthusiastic behind his kit, propelling changes with intent. Ben pronounces the foundations of the songs with simple but guttural emphasis. The structures are pretty open-ended, and they take their time to evolve. Despite the abstract aspects, the songs are cohesive and usually refer back to their origins.
In the latest version of the band, the song lengths have decreased significantly, and the hooks and changes are more clear and concise. I think this really strengthens their efforts. They are making stronger musical statements in less time, and with this they reduce risk of isolating the audience along the journey. My disclaimer for favoring the efficiency - I'm a pop song junky, with the attention span of a four-year-old. ;)
The set was tight, a smart length. It was honestly the tightest I've seen them over the years. I was compelled and left feeling satisfied and proud of them!

My conclusions:
1) Snipers rocked it. 2) Enthusiasm and upbeat demeanors are the new black for heavy rock music. 3) The Casbar is a smarmy venue that makes me wanna take a shower - but I appreciate that they are one of the few places encouraging a music scene in Sonoma County. 4) I love seeing some of the same faces at shows that I have for a decade. 5) I love the refreshing element of new music supporters as well (and age variation!) 6) Orange juice can be substituted for an orange slice in a Blue Moon beer, but it shouldn't be overdone or it hurts my tummy. 7) I'm getting old.

xo.
-Ash



No comments:

Post a Comment