Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dave Rawlings Machine!

(photo by Kristy Larson)

I had the pleasure last night of seeing the Dave Rawlings Machine at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma. (Dave Rawlings is primarily a bluegrass/americana artist - well known for collaborating for decades with Gillian Welch - and relatively recently collaborating with the likes of Ryan Adams and Conor Oberst).

I'd be lying if I said I was some connoisseur of folk/bluegrass. I appreciate what I've heard - it rings deep into the heart when I hear it. It's simple, grounding. Relatable. But, I've not invested in much of a record collection or show attendance up to this point. I will say, last night's show compelled me to up my dedication to the genre.

The Dave Rawlings Machine was comprised last night of Dave, Gillian, and members of Old Crow Medicine Show...No drums, plenty of acoustic guitar, upright bass, fiddle, harmonica, some banjo, and the thickest, most flawless harmonies I've heard in a long time. They played Dave's songs, Gillian's songs, a couple of Old Crow songs, and several covers. (The band was also joined by Peter Rowan on a few songs).

Some of the time Gillian and Dave played as a duet (gasp, sigh). They have been playing so long together, it's as if they come from the same voice. Heart stopping. Dave wrangles this old 30's archtop acoustic, and pulls the most incredible personality from it - dissonance, fast flamenco bursts, keen melodic insights. He wailed over a lot of songs (which I usual don't like much), but it was so complimentary and sensible that I could have listened to him embellish for hours. Gillian - she is steady, sweet, and as charmingly awkward as she is graceful. Her voice is absolutely rich and diligent. Ugh.

I could go on... but I'll just sum up what I walked away with:
The folk/bluegrass genre is so timeless and perfectly itself and it commands a lot of respect. The simplicity of its structure should no way negate the fantastic musicianship that often joins it. The structure makes it a perfect medium for bridging playing levels and styles, and a it reaches a broad demographic of listeners.
The members of the Dave Rawlings Machine obviously have respected and dedicated themselves to the art of this genre - and their common understanding made them move as an impeccable unit. Not that they were uniform - they would pop out and improvise at different points, but naturally fall back in place and at no point would they overshadow the others. They played as if they were pieces of grass all growing from the same soil.

Mind blown. I give this show 9 out 10 stars. (My only issue in the experience would be the guy with the big head sitting directly in front of me.)
To my dear friend Maria Villano, thanks for taking me to the show. Once again, you have broadened my horizons.
xo.
-Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment