Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Loquat/Hot Toddies/The Frail/Lindy LaFontaine - The Rickshaw Stop, SF

Kylee Swenson, Chip Cosby, and Anthony Gordon of Loquat

I concluded an absolutely delicious summer day this past Saturday (6/5) with a show at the Rickshaw Stop in SF.
The show was in celebration of the Hot Toddies' new CD, "Get Your Heart On".

Opening up the show was Lindy LaFontaine. (Niki, Betsy, and I shared a stage with her for Songwriters Sunday at Yoshi's recently.) Lindy was accompanied by her trumpet player Derek Alvarez and their new guitarist Nino Fernandez. Lindy has that jazzy, sooty, ethereal thing happening. I definitely heard some Tori Amos and Cocteau Twins. The trio worked very well together - and they were wisely accompanied by drum sequencer, which added to the sultry triphop elements. It was a fine way to start the show - I was happy to have my feet up on the balcony, get my initial beer buzz, and take in the atmosphere.

Electropop group The Frail were second at bat. This trio is SF based - and I've been hearing a bit of a buzz about them... it turns out for good reason - they are the epitome of a good time! Vocalist Daniel Lannon effectively crooned and fretted overtop of a fashionable frenzy of programming (executed by the cool, calm, and collected Kevin Xiu). Daniel was a sweaty, melodic dreamboat - unpretentious and sincere. Icing on the cake was drummer Tim Sams - who locked tight with the digital accompaniment - adding human enthusiasm with mechanical accuracy. He was rocking so hard he kept moving his drum kit across the floor. It took a big bouncer guy and several sandbags just to keep it still! The gentlemen of The Frail soaked the crowd with energy and accessibility. My shy ass was front and center, dancing like I could care less!

Next up - The Hot Toddies (vocalist/bassist Heidi, vocalist/guitarist Erin, keyboard/vocalist Jessica, and drummer Sylvia) - a four piece of adorable women playing sweet, harmony-laden indie pop. They struck me with an unassuming, amateur approach - young musicians with a basic grasp on how to play their instruments - but it was charmingly ironic. They are successfully pulling off classy doo-wop and incorporating grunge and punk elements.
I certainly get decades of heartstrings plucked listening to them- super early days of the Beach Boys - teenage days listening to the Donnas. They sing about being young, drunk, and naughty. Timeless stuff. I'll be honest that I wasn't blown away by their stage energy or musicianship - but the Hot Toddies work as a team and have something totally badass going for them. Their new record, "Get Your Heart On" is certainly worth having when you feel like bobbing your head to some sugary lo-fi rock n roll.

I was more than excited to see Loquat take the stage to finish out the evening. I first fell in love with the rich voice and clever lyrics of Kylee Swenson when she did a remix of the song "Comrades and Friends" for From Monument to Masses. Soon after, I found that Betsy shared my enthusiasm - and she shared with me the magic of Loquat's two albums - 2005's "It's Yours to Keep" and 2008's "Secrets of the Sea". Both records are awesome - and the latter is one of the most prominent in the soundtrack of my life.

What I like about this band - they are dimensional. They have a deep sound and consistent identity that incorporates some of the best qualities of rock and pop - raw talent and well-rounded tone, real instrumentation and inflection - with smart digital embellishments.
This was my first time getting to see Loquat live - and I sometimes get anxious that a band that I'm so attached to on recording might not up to their reputation live. I am pleased to say - my love for this band was reiterated upon seeing them in the flesh. Front and center, I welcomed them in as they sonically rose and bounded into me like a giant wave.

Kylee is a commanding storyteller with a smoky and confident voice, and she fearlessly approaches melody. She was poised and accurate live - while remaining fetching and sincere in inflection. Her band worked with her to execute these gems. Chris Lautz (drums) and Anthony Gordon (bass) are an authentic heartbeat of a rhythm section - providing a solid, honest and appropriately danceable foundation. Keyboardist Chris Cooper makes sensible statements with a combination of witty synth lines and moments of graceful piano. My favorite part was the guitar work - Kylee diligently keeping the driving rhythm parts - and new guitarist Chip Cosby - investing genuine energy and atmosphere to the songs. (He played with respectful homage to the recently retired Loquat founding guitarist - the percussive, melodically brilliant and commanding Earl Otsuka.) Chip also demonstrated his valid role and place at home with the band on several new songs they played that night.
Great songs, great tone. I was moved and convinced. Well done, Loquat.

I had a great night overall, and found something I truly appreciated about each of the acts.
The Rickshaw Stop was a great venue for this show - intimate and simple. The sound system had its ups and downs, but I felt like each band came across. I liked the balcony too - and appreciated that they had an artist working live as the show was happening. I liked the DJ between sets. I think I'll definitely see more shows there.
(Becah, Keely, Sam and Micah - thanks for being such awesome dates - you made my night).

No comments:

Post a Comment