Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ingrid Michaelson - Everybody


I was kissed awake by a perfect cup of coffee this morning. The cream and sugar balanced with the brew like a flawless three-part harmony. This beverage - exquisitely itself. I'm not here just to talk about that, however. There's a point to this. Her name is Ingrid Michaelson...and her new album, Everybody, is the sonic equivalent to my caffeinated bliss - exquisitely itself.

I'm going to spare a formal bio... you can look her up for that. I will give you a few basics about Ingrid - she has been studying music (and theater) since she was a kid. She's from New York. She is undoubtedly hardworking, talented and experienced. I heard her single "Be OK" (from a previous release) quite awhile ago - and honestly - it was so jingly I hardly gave it a second thought. I like me some jingly, people - but I need substance too. Let me eat that hat, though. This woman is a stealth bomber of substance - cloaked in well-considered disguise.

I'd like to start with my impression of her as an artist. First and foremost, Ingrid Michaelson is a master of her voice. I don't think there isn't a high or low, soft or gruff tone that she wouldn't nail with precision. The coolest part about it? She isn't a showoff. Each tonal choice she makes emphasizes her lyrical points and is loyal to the energy of the song. Generally, she has a genuine and tender approach; rich, comforting and certainly inviting. Listening to her is as if you're the only one she's singing to. But just as soon as you think the two of you are starting to mean something - hands and eyes locked in certain embrace - her voice breaks away or bellows to a depth that sobers you into a puddle of uncertainty.

These feelings that she invokes in the listener (presuming I'm not the only one she's actually singing to) are absolutely perfect for the subject matter she covers with this album. Every song seems to be an articulate (yet personal) process of longing, effort, and disillusionment. These matters of course - all directly related to love. Each song - Relationship. Connect and disconnect. She sums these bewildering experiences into a concise package of available and charming songs. The lyrics are mostly tangible, yes - but she does save for the occasional slice of tasteful ornament.

Ingrid (leading with guitar, keys, or ukulele) is wise with her instrumentation and approach. Some parts are simple and minimally accompanied - minimizing distraction for her vulnerable lyrical laments. When instruments chime in - they sweep one off the floor with meandering strings, vocal harmonies and rounds, confident rhythm, and theatrical enthusiasm. This record would easily translate to a musical - not in an overly-boisterous sense - but when it has your full attention, you're on a ride - rising, falling, and swaying with its intent. And bet your ass - your foot is tapping and you are way more emotionally affected than you'd prefer to be listening to a pop record. (Ingrid - you talented bitch, you.) Ahem.
I should note as well - the production is as intimate and revealing as it is clean and polished. The raw talent is absolutely apparent.

So, yeah -
I don't have any real complaints about this record. There are only a couple tracks that I prefer less than others... (The title track, "Everybody" has that syrupy quality that her "Be OK" song had. I like it sometimes, but if I'm not in the mood for pure sugar, I'll move on quickly.)...but there isn't a weak song in the bunch. Yes, I'm serious. Though I will warn the fan of harder or darker music - be prepared to get sweet. If you invest in diving into the cotton candy, you will be absorbed into deeper, very effective layers. (Don't get me wrong either- Ingrid's playful approach should not discount her maturity and ability to punch the gut or get incredibly sexy.)
My advice: Get disarmed and you might just like how temperate and exposed you can feel while listening to something so accessible.

My favorite tracks: "Soldier", "Sort Of", "Incredible Love", "Mountain and the Sea" and "Once Was Love".

Overall rating: 9.5 out of 10 stars. (She loses half a star - just cause I got a toothache and am totally jealous at the thought of not being the only one she's singing to...).
Betsy Adams, thanks for sharing this one with me. You win the see-i-told-you-chick-folk-rock-can-be-done-right-so-ha award this time.

Hope you give it a spin, ya'll. I'm curious if I'll be questioned or contested with this one.

xo.
-Ash

2 comments:

  1. yeah.. got a bit of a toothache listening to her music myself... lol ...well written, as always! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore Ingrid. I heard that the reviews on this album weren't as stellar as her previous - whoever wrote that wouldn't know amazing music if it hit them in the ears.

    My favs are "Men of Snow," "The Chain," and "Sort of" - in that order. Check out "Die Alone" from her Boys and Girls album.

    She sounds far better on her more sad songs; you can hear her unmistaken sincerity and vulnerability.

    "Everybody" is much too bubbly for my taste and it just doesn't do her justice as a songwriter. I felt the same way about "Maybe" after hearing it on the radio until I heard the full album with the rest of her songs, and it just fit.

    Thank you Bets; I'll be thinking of you on 3/25 when I get to finally hear her live.

    ReplyDelete