Sunday, May 16, 2010

Goodriddler - "Tickling the Tail of the Tiger"


(photo by Philip Alexander)


I have this friend named Nick. This same friend also happens to be my coworker. He happens to be a fantastic musician, and writes and performs as the one-man-band Goodriddler. Nick - (programmer/drummer/pianist/vocalist) had been working on the release of a record. He needed to go on tour in celebration and support of his efforts. That meant he had to ask me - his supervisor - for a few weeks off. (I said yes. I'm not a mean boss.) When he came back from his adventures, he gave me the fruits of his labor: "Tickling the Tail of the Tiger". Listening to this gem of a record - and as a witness of his fulfilling live performances - I know he's going to need a lot more time off.

The sum of my initial experience of this record (journal excerpt):
Instantly I was sucked into an alternate world. As I began to grasp my surroundings - I realized I was precariously placed at the ledge of a building. In front of me - a thick and enticing fog - and I found myself leaping without thought to consequence. On my way down, I was punching through layers and layers of surface. It didn't hurt - but there was surprise at each burst - enough to knock the wind out of me. I could see my inner self - the thrill of my descent filing me with nervous laughter. With clenched face - I was refreshed. I surrendered to the sarcasm and wit of my sonic circumstance. It had me.

A collaboration of organic instruments, voice, and calculated and precise digital elements - this record is an exotic film. It embraces and speaks to various aspects of humanness - flesh and shadows. The mechanical, tantalizing innerworkings. Ticks as precisely as clocks - then changes its mind. It is a science film - organisms bumping into each other in apparent chaos - all along, aligning with a greater scheme.

I found myself intrigued. Afraid. Disturbed. In love. Mad props to the mad scientist - Goodriddler - for facilitating such romance. The record/theatrical event takes itself seriously enough that I invest in its characters. The songs are are a collective - and though strong on their own - together they are a process. A progression - the record moves on from itself, but never abandons its foundation of sure rhythm and reoccurring tonal and melodic themes.

"Tickling the Tail of the Tiger" puts sound to the wandering mind and heart.

Get ahold of this record. See this man live.

No comments:

Post a Comment