Friday, April 2, 2010

K & L member highlight - about the Niki




It's time for me to tell you all a bit about the other voice of this band - my dear Niki Marie. I have known her for nine years - met her just before I started college. I'll spare details about our thick history, but know this - we have been through so many things together and I'm thankful to say I'd consider our relationship an impermeable one. Our musical connection has definitely helped keep us close. Since we met in 2001, we have been singing together. She has been my partner in crime through many acoustic ventures and three bands; Bad Kissers, Djuna, and now Kindness and Lies.

Niki is a dynamic lady; strong, humble, hilarious, and of course, beautiful. It doesn't shock me one bit that many jaws have dropped and hearts have leaped in her direction. (Ha! It's true.) My favorite part about Niki - she is the best parts woman and child. Her voice and presence exemplify that - she's angelic purity rising from a smoky siren. She works hard, nurtures those she loves, and exudes genuine compassion for all living creatures. She has a lot of flippin love in that flippin heart of hers. And - well, let's face it - she does her best to keep me out of trouble. And - she makes me chocolate chip pancakes every Sunday before band practice...without which, I might not be as functional. Yes, she completes me as a friend and bandmate.

Full Name: Niki Marie (Well, that's all she'll give me to share. I usually call her Nini.)

Astro sign: Cancer

Past notable music projects: Bad Kissers.

Hometown: Born in Riverside, CA. Grew up in Rohnert Park, CA.

How long she's has been playing music: She's been playing her voice since she could talk....But she's really been singing since she was about 13.

How she got into music: She began singing because of her dad. He has been in bands her entire life, and he used to bring her to the studio with him when he recorded.

Major musical influences: Ash (who me?!) has been a major musical influence of hers. "[Ash] re-introduced music to me at a time that I had resolved to let it go perhaps forever, and she helped me remember that music was the thing I love doing the most in this world!" (Gosh, golly gee, Nik - thanks!) annnnnddddd...other more random chick singers who she's going to "shamefully NOT list here! Ha. I pulled a lot of different things, from many different artists, in all genres!"

What she's listening to lately: Grizzly Bear, Phoenix, Fleetwood Mac, Beyonce, MGMT, Loquat, Massive Attack, Azure Ray, Patty Griffin...

What she wanted to be when she grew up: The only things she remembers wanting to be when she was little was a teacher, and a mom. "YIKES. I always secretly wanted to be a singer, but I have always been so damn shy."

Favorite hobbies: Singing/Playing music, Swimming, Playing Scrabble, Watching movies, Going for walks in beautiful places.

How Niki would describe herself and her bandmates each in three words:

Brian: "Gifted, Friendly, Entertaining"

Ash: "Prodigy, Beautiful, Inspiring"

Betsy: "Genuine, Whale Sounds, Sincere"

Robert: "Warm, Kind, Dreamboat"

Niki: "Approachable, Loyal, Classy"

Favorite quote: "It is never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot

1 comment:

  1. Yah, you rock. Says the "random" dancing in the crowd.

    ReplyDelete